lunes, 25 de julio de 2011

Precious Moments

The day I had been waiting had arrived, it was the day I had the possibility to win a triathlon race. It was June 12th, the sea was calmed, and had a low tide, there were no clouds, and the climate was made to make a race, it was perfect. Most of the competitors, who win most of the time, were in a competition in Colombia, so I had more possibilities to win. I was prepared to give all my effort and try to win.
 The race began, I started swimming as fast as I could and gave all my effort in the water; I was the first one that got out of the water, then I made my transition, took my bicycle and started the second part of the race that was twenty km. cycling. I was alone, when suddenly another racer was drafting behind me. Her name was Andrea, she is a little faster than me cycling but I am a hundred times faster than her running, because she is chubby. Also she is very popular because she, most of the time, cheats in races, by pushing others, or affecting other competitors. When I saw her I moved to the right so she could overtake me and leave me alone, so I could finish the second part with no risks, but she stayed at the back. In that moment I understood that she wanted to harm me or that she wanted to make something against me. I stopped cycling, and she stopped too, then a group of other competitors of other category passed us, and finally she overtook me. I tried to join to the group too, but they were faster than us, so we stayed alone again. She stayed in front of me, and every time there was a cone she tried to avoid them in the last minute, so I would not see them and I could fall. Fortunately and thanks God, I saw them. She got mad because she could not leave me behind, so she made a sprint (started cycling faster) and I followed her and then she stopped (there was no reason for stopping) and rapidly continued cycling, I couldn’t stop, and my front wheel crashed with hers and I fall down. The only way she could win was taking me out of the race, and she made it.  I remember that in that moment I closed my eyes, and while I was falling, I felt my two front teeth scraping the pavement, and my arms and legs getting hurt. When I opened my eyes, after the horrible crash, I saw her cycling, until I couldn’t see her. I started crying, but not because of the pain, because it didn’t hurt, I was crying because of the anger. I knew from the start that she wanted to harm me, but I didn’t obey the signals. Then two judges helped, they were going to lift me, but I had a positive mood and I got up myself. I asked them if my lips were bleeding, they told me that they were bleeding and that I had two teeth broken.   They called the ambulance, while we were waiting for the help I asked the judges if hitting in the face a competitor after the race was a penalty, they agreed so I didn’t hurt the lady (I was joking, I just wanted to relieve my anger). The ambulance arrived and then I went  with my parents. I tried to be strong but when I saw my mother I couldn’t resist and started crying,  even now while I’m writing my story I get sad just to remember that horrible moment. I didn’t finish the race.
I grabbed my things, got into the car, and began the trip home. My mother called the doctor, who was going to fix my teeth. In the return, I started listening music, sad music; the day turned gray and started raining. My perfect day was ruined; I was thinking about what happened and if I could change things what should I change to avoid the crash, when suddenly the phone rang. The triathlon’s federation president, who is the father of one friend of mine too, called my mom to see if I was ok. My mom told him that I was fine and that I was going to go to the doctor in the night. Then my mother’s best friend, who is like an aunt for me, called to know how the race, and my mom told her my tragedy.  The rest of the afternoon the phone didn’t stopped ringing. A lot of people called me and asked me if I was fine. In that moment I understood that a lot of people cared, appreciate, and loved me (and sometimes I thought some of them really didn’t cared), even my uncle, who never calls, called me; also in that precious moment I understood that God was with me at every moment in the race, because the crash was to have worst consequences and I just broke two teeth. I really thank God because I have health and I have the opportunity  to practice the sport I love, but most of all that He is always with me and takes care of my family and me. It was an opportunity to see how much people care me (which I thank) and to realize how much God loves me.

1 comentario:

  1. I couldn't even look you in the face when I talked to you! xD
    I love how you ended the story....(:

    ResponderEliminar